Friday, November 28, 2008

Giving Thanks at Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving, one of the festive time of gathering around food, has often not been one of the most allergy friendly events for me and my 6 year old son. However, now I look at it as a perfect chance to bring up the topic. It's because, we all come together agreeing that we all want to enjoy food - food is such a center of the occasion, not an additional cake etc. But yes, if you have other cooks, planning and communication is always important. For now, I would like to remind everyone that at times things might seem tough, but it will get better. I am thankful for the fact that I am making progress, and so let me share a little bit about that.

Here is my journey:
  1. Just learning about food allergy
    --> Totally at loss, don't know what to do, feel resentful that we won't be able to join parties, because there is probably going to be no food that's safe.
  2. Slowly getting a better grasp of food allergy and allergens
    --> If we have good relationship with someone who cooks and enjoys cooking, feels encouraged to open up the topic about what could be eaten and what not. Still taking chance of accidents, and when nothing happens, falls asleep so fast with relief. Or, when something does, beats herself up for allowing this to happen.
  3. Having more information and control of the FA(=food allergies)
    Feeling more and more confident, ready to deal with accidents should they happen, but optimistic that they won't 99.99% of the time. Still aware and is keeping eyes open.
  4. Feeling more relaxed and believe that things are going to be fine~
    (My goal is to get here.)

I am sure others have a lot of experiences and great ideas on how to continue our journey from stage 1 and up, and make special occasions more survivable & enjoyable. If you have anything to share, please feel free to leave a comment.