Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Two Book Recommendations

The two books I am listing here today are not books "about food allergies" - but they have certainly helped me understand my food allergic son very much. They would fall into the category of parenting with special needs.

1. "Raising Your Spirited Child - a guide for parents who childe is MORE intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, energetic" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

It talks about how children have their own temperament, has helped me learn to understand and accept my child with the temperament of his own, to view them as a blessing instead of something that I have to change, tame, fight with. I am not alone!
Me and my husband both bought one book each for ourselves, and also a workbook that comes with it. I think I am done with this book and would be happy to pass it on to the next person. So let me know if you'd like this book.

2. "When Love is Not Enough - A Guide to Parenting Children with RAD-Reactive Attachment Disorder" by Nancy L. Thomas

I found this book to be, unexpectedly, very helpful in understanding my own son psychologically. It has made me realize that, before his food allergies were diagnosed, how much pain he was inflicted upon - 24/7, wth no way out. I am not surprised if this sort of "emotional, physical, trauma" has had an impact on how he learns to relate to the world, including his mother. Also included is good tips on how to draw boundries and to protect "myself." It talks about how parents can be emotionally abused when the children they are raising have issues (Reactive Attachment Disorder in this book). In the book, I learned it was OK to fee the way I was (wondering if I understood and was connected to this child, for example), and was also given lots of hopeful tips. If you feel like you need someone to understand your struggle, this book puts a lot of those feelings into words.

Blessings to all of those who are working hard for the best days!!