Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sweet Lab School

OK, a little bit more of reveling ourselves. My son goes to the Lab School of Creative Learning. There are only about 14-15 kids in each classrooms, and 7 classes total as of today (K-6). The school has been VERY receptive of my son's allergies, and they have done a marvelous job accommodating him and making us feel safe.

- Pre-entry meeting with principle, teachers, health aid, school nurse have all been positive.
- Allergy conditions and medications are taken seriously and completely accomodated.
- There is good relay of information, we're not in touch all the time but the staff have all been accessible and available whenever needed.
- In the one case where my son needed medication, I felt confident matters were handled the best it could have. (He must have touched a carpet where some other kids wiped their peanut butter hand or cheezy hand, and then touched his face which got itchy, red, with some teary eyes and a bit of swelling - taken care with Benadryl.)
- After this small incident, the school went beyond my expectation and decided to go Peanut Free on their own.
- They have created a allergen free table for my son on their own as well - I don't remember if I gave some or any input, might have made some suggestions, but the school have decided what would be best and have kept my son safe.

Just the other day, the school had a kick off celebration for a fund raising effort, and everyone was served a root-beer-float. For my son, they have prepared a soy-based ice-cream he could have. I didn't know anything till afterwards. I was proud of the school that they could handle things with confidence and include my son even with this food celebration.

Thank you, Lab School!! What a great support you are - You are my son's PAL!